If you have an older petroleum storage tank in your home, your health may depend on petroleum tank removal at your Northern Virginia home. That’s because older tanks can leak diesel fuel (aka petroleum or home heating oil); and when they leak they can contaminate your home and the surrounding environment.
A petroleum tank leak can cause a myriad of health problems for you and your family. Research has shown that being exposed to a diesel fuel leak in your home will cause respiratory, neurological, and gastrointestinal problems. If the exposure is ongoing, you can add cardiovascular, hematological (ie blood-related), and renal problems. These reactions to diesel fuel are greatly magnified when children are exposed – and can be deadly.
- There are some very obvious signs that your petroleum tank is leaking:
- An unexplained increase in fuel consumption
- Water in the tank
- Ongoing problems with your oil burner
- Staining of the basement floor or walls
- An oil sheen in the basement sump or French drain
- Fuel odors (in areas other than around the oil burner)
If you have any of the signs that a heating oil tank is leaking, please contact SES Mid Atlantic LLC. Serving Northern Virginia and Washington DC residential and commercial markets since 1987, SES Mid Atlantic LLC specializes in testing and safely removing above- and below-ground petroleum tanks.