Fall is here, and as the weather begins to get colder in Warrenton, VA, it’s important to remember to care for your septic system – especially septic tank pumping in Warrenton, VA. Here are six tips to help keep your system in working order even during the coldest of seasons.
- If you don’t remember having your septic tank pumped, have it pumped and the system checked by a professional before the ground freezes.
- Let the grass over the pipes, tank, and soil treatment system get a little longer in the late summer/fall. This will provide extra insulation and help hold any snow that may fall. Place an 8 to 12-inch layer of mulch over the entire system to provide extra insulation. This is especially important if you have had a new system installed late in the year and no vegetative cover has been established.
- Use water, the warmer the better if your system is starting to freeze. Do at least one warm or hot water activity per day, such as a load of laundry, using your dishwasher, or taking a hot bath. If you know you are going to be gone for an extended period, plan accordingly. Have a house sitter flush the toilet, run some hot water, and maybe even do some laundry; in other words, use sufficient quantities of water in the home regularly. Otherwise, have your tank pumped before leaving.
- If you have appliances that generate very low flows such as high efficiency furnaces, put a heat tape on the pipe. If you go away, you’ll want to have someone come by and run warm water for a while. Alternately, you could install a small condensation pump that holds and discharges 2 gallons per cycle.
- Keep all types of vehicles and high traffic activities off the system to avoid pushing frost down toward system components. Keep an eye on your system. If any seeping or ponding occurs contact a certified onsite professional to help determine the cause and remedy.
Frozen septic tanks can be avoided with proper care and maintenance of your septic system, especially septic tank pumping in Warrenton, VA. For more information on septic system maintenance or to schedule an inspection, call the professionals at Soils and Environmental Services, Inc.(SES). Serving residential and commercial markets since 1987, SES specializes in septic system design and repairs in Warrenton, VA, and the rest of and Fauquier, Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudoun counties.