Irrespective of whether you own a conventional or alternative septic system, it needs to be maintained. Only when properly looked after will it provide uninterrupted service for years.
Here are some instructions that will help you seamlessly maintain your septic tank.
- You must follow the guidelines provided by the local health department and the system manufacturer. Their instructions, especially in terms of operation and maintenance of septic tanks, will increase the tank’s longevity.
- Ensure that you thoroughly go through the owner’s manual. If you cannot find yours, get in touch with your manufacturer for a copy or another copy or information.
- If your home has a conventional septic tank, inspect it regularly. You need to pump it too. However, the frequency at which you need to pump out your septic tank will depend on factors like the septic tank’s capacity and the amount of wastewater your home sewage system generates.
- Always remember that heavy water usage places greater demands on a septic tank system and so try to reduce the water usage in your household if possible.
- In the case of conventional septic tanks, the rule is to pump it out at least once in three to five years so that the tank’s drain field does not clog. In the case of alternate systems, conduct alternative onsite sewage system inspection in South Riding VA annually.
- Ensure that you hire only licensed contractors to supervise onsite wastewater systems. Only licensed contractors have the necessary permits provided by the health department.
- Keep track of all maintenance records.
- Remember that certain medications kill the bacteria present in the system. This helps in decomposing wastes and harms your system. So, keep an eye on the medicines your family members take. For instance, if a family member is undergoing chemotherapy or consuming an extremely high dose of strong medication, inform the wastewater treatment professionals. They will provide you with an appropriate solution.
- Ensure lower use of water use in the household. This will help to extend the life of your septic tank system. This also means that it can lower the maintenance cost. For instance, you could try using low-flow faucets.
- Try to repair leaks as soon as you discover them. Consider using a front load washer. Also, try to conserve as much water as you can. This will reduce the load on the septic tank.
- You must be aware of where the septic system is situated. A diagram pointing to the exact location of the tank may be helpful.
- In case you own an alternative system, enter into a service contract with a trustworthy septic tank servicing company like SES Mid Atlantic for lifetime maintenance of your septic system.
Our company offers alternative onsite sewage system inspection in South Riding VA. If you want to know more about septic tank systems, you can submit the form available on the website. Our experts will reach out to you in no time.